Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Why Do I Want to Exercise?

Currently listening to Spice Girls radio on Pandora. Don't judge. You know you miss them.

I started writing a list the other day. Looks like this:


If I had made this list a few years ago, it would have been much shorter and much more superficial. As it turns out, that was my biggest hindrance. Looking good in a swimsuit shouldn't be a major life priority, apparently. ;) I spent nearly a year existing on rice cakes and apples. It wasn't pretty. Through healthy living blogs, documentaries like Food Inc., the wonder that is Trader Joe's and a general awareness, I've learned to embrace a more health-centric view on fitness. Would I still like to look good in a swimsuit? Of course. Goals are meant to be multifaceted. Here's my partial list, since I'm always adding to it:
  • Cardio = stronger heart
  • More endurance during high-intensity workouts
  • Stronger muscles
  • More lean muscle mass
  • Faster metabolism. My thyroid thanks me
  • Endorphins after a good workout = awesome
  • Clothes fit better
What does your list look like?


1 comment:

  1. This is a great post! My goals for exercising used to be superficial too-- spending an hour on the elliptical so that I could fit into my jeans that I purposefully bought a size too small...

    Now I work out with being functional in mind...I want to be able to do anything! I want to be strong enough to live my life the way I want to...if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete