Thursday, October 20, 2011

Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries

I've always attempted to perfect my recipe for sweet potato fries, but am typically left unimpressed. Fed up, I combined various recipes to create what I think has been my best bet so far. While oven-baked fries aren't likely to get as crispy as actual fries due to the cooking method, the addition of egg white helps adhere the spices and gives them a nice crunch. Kicking up the heat at the end also allows the sweet potato to caramelize and cook without getting burnt.


Ingredients:
note: spices are to my taste -- feel free to add/subtract as necessary
2 medium sweet potatoes, washed, unpeeled
2 egg whites
3 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Cut sweet potatoes into "fry-like" strips -- the thinner the better. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg whites and spices. Add sweet potato and toss to coat evenly. Make sure each fry has a nice coating of the seasoning mixture. Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Increase oven heat to 400 and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Depending on your oven, you may need to reduce time on each temperature by about ten minutes. Just keep an eye on them. Serves two.


Have you ever made oven-baked fries? What are your tips to get them crispy?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever tried adding in the egg whites...great idea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe, Vanessa! Can't wait to try this one. I love sweet potato fries!! I have that problem of getting them crispy in the oven. The only thing that works for me is putting them under the broiler for the last few minutes, but that burns if you don't time it just right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make oven baked sweet potato fries a lot, but they never get that crispy. I don't mind them under-cripsy though.

    ReplyDelete