Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wednesday Wishlist: The Intro

As Sean and I sat down to watch the first DVD in Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University, I waved goodbye to the glamorous, diamond-studded life I once led and begrudgingly greeted a life of top ramen and empty wallets. It was quite an upsetting experience. Joanna, I know you feel my pain

Source

Ok...so it didn't exactly pan out like that. I'm hardly glamorous; and we are NOT resorting to top ramen. But I am a little nervous going into this thing. My nervousness, however, seems to be laced with an enthusiasm that I didn't expect. Dave Ramsey's "live like no one else, so you can LIVE like no one else" quote -- albeit irritating -- kind of makes sense.

And while the guy definitely knows what he's talking about, I do think its important to make the plan your own. Not to bend the rules so you can still buy stuff you don't need, but to remain flexible in your plan while still moving forward with "gazelle-like intensity" (another annoying phrase of his). I'll have you know that I'm neither a gazelle nor a natural saver, but we did just  pay off two credit cards. And our only remaining debt is the car. See, we're not just in it to get rich and buy stuff. Sean and I are both passionate about using our (future) wealth to benefit other people. Hey, you need help paying your kids' college tuition? We've got it covered. Your charity needs more funds? No problem. You want to take your family to Disneyland? We'll take care of it. Now that's what motivates me most of all. There is, however, a time and place for "stuff," and that's where the Swift as Shadows Wednesday Wishlist comes in. Every Wednesday starting next week, I'll feature a few things I've got my eye on -- from clothes to kitchen gadgets to books to tech tools.

What motivates you to save money?



2 comments:

  1. Well, basically every penny we saved over the last few years went into building our house--although I'm so happy we have it, our savings obviously took a big hit! I'm definitely motivated to save for our future.

    ReplyDelete