- Don’t be rude.
- Listen to him.
- Laugh at stupid stuff together.
- Trade massages.
- You’re not always going to like each other. That’s ok.
- Do not laugh at the way his ear lobes are attached to his head. Apparently these things are normal.
- If you do happen to laugh at said ear lobe
deformitytrait, compliment him on something else.
- Hold his hand in public.
- Learn his love language. Make sure he learns yours.
- Discuss money. Establish mutual guidelines. Finances can be boring, but they’re important.
- Don't finish the bag of Trolli sour gummi worms
- Be honest.
- Never forget your identity. Even though two become one, you are still unique. Celebrate this.
- Embrace the butterflies from the early days of dating.
- Remind him that you’re proud of him.
- Don't underestimate him.
- Spray his cologne in the air when he's not around.
- Figure out ways to have fun together.
- Figure out ways to have fun separately.
- Establish traditions. Advent calendars at Christmas, quesadillas on Saturdays, etc.
Thursday, May 5, 2011
Marriage Advice from a Newbie
Today is my grandparents' 49th wedding anniversary. They got married on Cinco de Mayo because my grandpa won my grandma's heart much to the dismay of her then-boyfriend, who was French. So, just as the Mexicans defeated the French on May 5, 1862, my grandpa "defeated the French" on May 5, 1962.